Sunday, July 20, 2008

Tips for Single Diners


Here are some tips I've compiled to help people who have a fear of dining alone.

1. Make a reservation. If you make a reservation, the restaurant will be expecting you as a single diner. This could be good for taking some of the awkwardness away from when you first arrive at a restaurant as a single diner.

2. Tip well but only if the service is good. Most waiters and waitresses think of single diners in one way - bad tips. Prove them wrong by tipping well but do it only if you think the service is good.

3. Dress up. I personally enjoy dressing up when I go out to eat and for some people, it could make you you more confident. Consider it a night out on the town and you are your own best date.

4. Don't bring accessories. Some people like to bring a book or a cell phone to dinner. I think if you bury yourself in the accessory, then you are not fully enjoying the single dinning experience. My favorite part of eating alone is people watching. Try it, it's fun.

5. Read reviews and study the menu before you go to the restaurant. The reviews will give you a good guide of what to expect, what dishes to order, what to eat, and what not to eat. Studying the menu will eliminate the "what do I order" dilemma and make you not miss having someone there to discuss the possibilities with you.

Trust me, eating alone is really not that bad if you do your homework and follow some of these tips.

Photo caption: I studied the menu at menupages.com before heading to Mill Korean on 2895 Broadway. I ended up ordering a delicious Kimchi and Pork Dosot Bibim-Bab (kimchi and spicy pork cooked with rice and served in a hot stone pot).

No comments: