Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Table for One, But Not by the Toilet


I found this article on the huffingtonpost.com website: "Table for One, But Not by the Toilet," posted on May 9, 2008. It is by another single diner, Lea Lane, author of Solo Traveler: Tales and Tips for Great Trips.

link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lea-lane/table-for-one-but-not-by_b_100886.html

She lists 12 tips in the article. Some I agree with, others I don't.

I agree with this tip:
"Don't accept a lousy table. I've sat near busboy stations, swinging doors, and toilets too many times. Now I politely hold out. I was once told that a choice table by the window was a "romantic" table and I said that I was a romantic person and wanted to let the manager know. I got the table."

Although I agree with this, I have to admit I have not mustered up enough courage to ask a manager to get me a better seat. This was in my original top 10 list of tips but I think it is one of the hardest things to do.


I DON'T agree with this:
"Offer to share a table. This is commonplace in some foreign countries. I once sat at a small table with an elderly couple at Fortnum and Mason tea room in London. The man fell asleep in his scones and clotted cream and started snoring. I could barely contain my giggles."

I once was at a Chinese restaurant and the waiter sat me with a couple because he felt bad for me. I did not like the experience because it felt like a forced situation. They couple didn't want to eat with me and I didn't want to eat with them. In the end, both parties shared an awkward meal together.

1 comment:

featherpen said...

I ate alone tonight! I went to Chilies and Chocolate, a Oaxacan joint in Park Slope I was in the neighborhood "on business," so it felt kind of like being on a trip.

I enjoyed it especially because the meal was so flavorful, sweet and tangy and spicy and rich, and I wouldn't have noticed this level of complexity had I been talking to a companion.